Monday, November 30, 2009

Moving Sale

So I lost it at one point in the packing process - not sure what happened, but I basically wanted to crinkle my nose Bewitched-style and just make it all go away...to Harare...but instead I just had to start over with what I was doing and do it right the second time around.

I had been dreading the moving sale (no yard or garage here). Was expecting to have waves of regret about getting rid of this or that item. Anticipating awkward haggling over prices on my life's possessions. Or worse, to spread the innards of my home on tables in the sun and have no one even show up. But it was surprisingly nice in several ways:
  • I was providing people who came with a bargain: great prices for things they really needed.
  • I was making money!
  • Regarding the things I cared about, people that I liked were taking them, so it was almost like gift-giving. I could feel happy about that the new end table is sitting in K's house and that my best dictionary was at P's.
  • I had the distinctly invigorating feeling of cleaning out the backs of closets and lightening my load.
Next for the shipments...

1 comment:

Linda said...

I remember your first moving sale when you were living on Forest about ten years ago. You even sold MY tupperware! It's good for me to know that you do it SO well. Even though I'm far away, every one of your moves is as hard for me as it as for you - really. Good luck as you count down the days.